Saturday 20 January 2007

Building my Poker Table: Day 3++

Well, I haven't posted pictures in a while, but we have been working on the table a little. However, we ran into a few snags. First problem, holiday season and free time was limited. On the days I was able to work on the table the shop was closed! The next problem we ran into was creating the holes for the cup holders. I purchased a large hole bit for the drill that would have worked perfect, but the hole was a shade to big. I wanted a very tight fit for the cup holders, and the hole bit produced a fit that was just too loose. Next we tried using a jigsaw. This worked, but the hole was ugly (in retrospect it would have been fine, and I wasted too much time trying to get "nice" holes), if we had a blade with more TPI the jigsaw would have been fine. Finally we settled on a plunge router to get the job done. The plunge router worked fine, but it was a major pain. For the base we borrowed a roto-zip. I didn't think that the tiny bit would cut through 3/4" plywood, but it did! Plus it had a circle jig that made the process really easy. Bottom-line, I recommend picking up a roto-zip for a project like this. After cutting the holes we drilled the holes in the table-top and base to sink the t-nut and bolt the base to the top. Then we brought the project to my house to "upholster" the table. Here we ran into another problem. The suited felt I ordered was too small (width wise). New felt has been ordered and is on the way. Today we will pad the rail and start staining the racetrack. If the felt gets here by Wed then we can finish the table and hold a cash game on Thurs (then I'm off to Mississippi for a month). Below are pictures of the race track, base and playing surface.


2 comments:

Ryan said...

What are your dimensions?

Don Paulie said...

Ryan,

The table is 96" by 48" (actually, I lost 1/16" on the width). The rail is 3" wide and the racetrack is 5" (exposed).